Friday, August 7, 2009

Rock n Roll San Diego

5/31/2009 Rock n Roll San Diego
What happens when you put together 20,000 runners + 30,000 Spectators + 172 Running Elvis + 25 different bands on stage? One heck of a good time, which is the culmination of the San Diego Rock n Roll Marathon... 26.2 miles of laughs, sweat, pain, cursing, and a priceless memory you shan't ever forget.

It was a true pleasure that on Marathon weekend that our home was blessed with not just incredible company from the Tillotson's, Fowler's, Frankum's, and Yost's but amongst them a brand new to be MARATHONER, Jill. Through weeks and months of Emails and no doubt a few butterflies Jill decided to take on the monumental task of completing her first marathon and had already persevered through trails of miles and miles of trials as she physically and mentally prepared herself for the task ahead.

Having the momentum and courage to even toe the line is a feat, but to have completed the distance and declare your new title of "Marathoner" is FANTASTIC and for many can be life-changing. Being a veteran of such a distance I must say that I was honestly surprised at how cool and collected Jill seemed to be; she even went to bed way past me!!! I'm not sure how she did it but it was inspirational to see how she kept her head together in the hours before the brutal wake up call @ 4AM. You see, Leslie also being motivated herself and lovingly always wants to get involved, volunteered her time once again to assist runners at the Start line of the race. Being that we live a bit away from the race and the Volunteers have such an early start time Jill and I decided to go early and take naps in the car and just simply marvel at the coordinated mayhem ensuing all around us. Watching both athletes, workers, and spectators in one area at 5AM is a sight to see and hard to not get caught up in it.

Though Jill and I did not have the opportunity to run together during the race I had absolutely no doubts on her determination to finish, so I went along to assist many other runners whom I also coach in my own volunteer capacity. Though I'm sure Jill will share some of her stories as her race was memorable in some very interesting ways, don't be shy to ask her the details because even I was laughing with her... "Is there a good dentist out there!"

All in all it was a beautiful day and despite my warnings to Jill to stay off her feet the day before but it made me very proud to see her be added to the exclusive list of finishers whom I know. Last summer of course you remember James McClelland taking the honors of completing his first marathon, and each year in passing I sit back and wonder "Who is next?"... It could be YOU! So now for these other veteran marathoners of James and Jill I am frequently being kindly reminded of how much faster they are getting so apparently the challenge is on and I've no doubt that I better get my butt off the couch and keep training because we have certainly not seen the last of these athletes.

As for me this was another great race and was memorable in that it also signified my 30th finish of an official Marathon or longer distance.

Happy Trails and know that I am always here for anyone ready to take the Marathon plunge,
Joey

No comments: